How do you know.....?

Day 2

Yesterday we started doing something new in our family. We've always prayed together but we've never really done some sort of family devotional together. So we started yesterday using a book called Dinner Table Devotions. The daily reading for July 13th was about healing and how God is a healing God. It only took about 5-7 minutes then we prayed together. It was a very positive thing and I'm glad we started to it. I encourage other families to make the time for something like this as well.

What was funny was the question afterward. We've noticed that Lauren is our "question girl". Remember the devotion was on healing, but her question was not. Sitting next to me on the couch she looked right up at me with those big brown eyes and said, "How do you know when God talks to you?" Would anyone like to take a shot at answering that one?

How many other people have ever asked that question? I have. My easy explanation to Lauren was to give her an example....like when she does something wrong and that voice in her heart tells her she shouldn't have done that, or that she should apologize; that's God speaking to her heart. She then proceeded to explain to me how that really does happen for her and how important it is to her. Wow!

What about for us adults? How do we know when God is speaking to us? Let me give you the most simple explanation I have to help you know when you are hearing God speak to you. 1) Usually what he says isn't what we want to hear! God's answers always go against our logic. My selfish nature always wants God to do things my way. I even rationalize out why God should do things my way, but he never does. His voice cuts through my logic. 2) When God speaks to us his words always support His Word. If you think God is speaking to you, check it against the Bible. A revelation Word from God will never contradict his written Word. If it does, you didn't hear from God. Check EVERYTHING against His written Word!!! 3) When God speaks instruction or revelation to us the end result should be the glorification of God NOT ourselves! God does not have an ego problem, but he will not take second place. I hear people often say, "God told me to do (blah-fill in the blank)". And when reviewed it's selfish, self-honoring, and lifts up the individual not God. God's instruction steers us and others toward Him.

Journey on.......

0 comments:

Post a Comment