Faith, NOT Feelings

Day 4

It's easy to be happy and live for God when feel like we are close to God and God is close to us. But what about those times when it feels like God is a million miles away. We haven't stopped praying, or reading his Word, or even living for his purpose; it's just that we don't feel God the same way.

Rick Warren gave a great example of this when he wrote, "When you are a baby Christian, God gives you a lot of confirming emotions and often answers the most immature, self-centered prayers—so you'll know he exists. But as you grow in faith, he will wean you of these dependencies. Yes, he wants you to sense his presence, but he's more concerned that you trust him than that you feel him."

This happened to Job. In one day he lost everything - family, possessions, and health. What did he do? He cried out to God! And for 37 chapters God said nothing. We know how the story ends so we often overlook the emotion of those 37 chapters. Where did Job's faith grow most? After God answered and restored everything, or during those 37 chapters where God was quiet and all Job had to hold onto was his faith in a God?

If you know me at all you know I am an openly emotional guy. But I am learning that I can't allow my feelings or emotions to be the gauge of God's work in me. He is most pleased when my relationship with him is based on the faith (the facts his Word declares & His promises) instead of my feelings. Do I still feel God?...Yes, and I pray I continue to. But feeling him is no longer my pursuit; knowing him through faith is far more fulfilling. It's that type of faith that pleases God.

"LORD, teach me to trust your Word and establish my faith upon it regardless of how I feel. Teach me to rest in your truth. I don't just want to feel you, I want to know you!....AMEN!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment