What's Your CRAZY Prayer?

Here's what I want you to do, I want you to think back to some of the craziest prayers you've ever prayed. Now be honest....you know you've prayed for some crazy stuff before! Let me see if I can read your mind and list some of the prayers you might have prayed before.

God, please let _____________fall in love with me!
God, could you please let me win the lottery? I'll tithe on it!!!
God, if you get me out of this, I'll do whatever you want me to do...FOREVER!
Lord, could you please help me pass this test....even though I didn't study?
God, could you please make hair grow on my head....I'm tired of being bald?!
Lord, if you give me this (house,car,etc., etc.) I'll never ask you for anything else!
Lord, could you make my parents normal?
God, will you make my kids normal?

Ok, maybe I didn't exactly list every possible crazy prayer, but you get the point. It seems like when we pray, we tend to ask a lot and listen very little. It's almost like we have turned prayer time into an opportunity to twist God's arm in an attempt to get what we want. If you only pray when you are asking God for something, then you have missed the point of prayer. Prayer isn't intended to be your attempt to make God into your spiritual Santa Claus. Prayer is supposed to be one part of how you communicate with God and develop a deeper relationship with him.

I know what you might be thinking, "But if I don't ask God for something.....then what do I say?" Good question! Why not start by using a prayer "cheat-sheet". What?!? You heard me right! How do you learn to pray? You learn by seeing positive examples of prayer. In Luke 11, Jesus disciples asked him to teach them how to pray and he proceeded to teach them The Lord's Prayer. It was a prayer model designed to help them stay on track when they prayed. Wouldn't you like to learn how to pray prayers that are meaningful and that don't put you to sleep? Prayer models are the place to start. For a list of downloadable prayer models, visit www.centralassembly.net. Focused, intentional prayer is a good thing. It's ok to be crazy, but your prayers shouldn't be! Learn to pray effective prayers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment