A Child's Question


Just over a week ago, my 7 year old daughter asked my wife one of those innocent, yet profound questions while traveling down the road in the family minivan (grocery-getter, family wagon; you get the point). Her question was, "Mommy, do people see Jesus when they die?" And with what seemed like a simple question, my wife answered, "Yes, honey." She wasn't prepared for my daughters response. In her small, innocent voice she said, "Then I want to die, so I can see Jesus." While surprised by her thoughts, my wife shared with her that God wanted her to live for him here on this earth, and that when she was old and gray, God would bring her to heaven at just the right time.

To put Lauren's question in context, we had just been in a Saturday night service where everyone in the room got prayed for. I saw my daughter place her little hands on people as they passed by and pray for them, tears rolling down her face. I couldn't contain my own emotions as I watched God bless my baby girl.

Afterwards, I couldn't help but remember Jesus words to the people of his day when he said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Matt. 10:14-15) But the realization for me as a father from my daughters question was this. Jesus died for us so that we could have a relationship with him. He died in our place. For most of us, we don't have to die to be with Jesus; he is with you right now where ever you are reading this. My daughter's passion to be with Jesus drove her to make the choice that she would give everything to be with him. And we explained to her, and I hope you recieve this as well, you don't have to die to be with Jesus, you can live for him today.

1 comments:

GRANNY J said...

This was beautiful. "Out of the mouths of babes..."

Post a Comment