Win The Prize

Last night many people watched two teams battle each other. For the past 5 months each team trained, practiced, and played for one solitary purpose; a Superbowl victory. And once that goal is achieved, every player wants to get their hands on the Lombardi Trophy, simply to hoist it over their heads one time. For them it's not just a sculpture or piece of metal. It's the prize that symbolizes the work, effort, and achievement that they've focused on since Jr. High. For them it's not just A prize, it's THE prize!

I wasn't all that prolific in High School sports. The highlight of my athletic career was in eighth grade basketball. That year I was the tallest kid on the team and averaged 10 points per game. Unfortunately I haven't really grown much since eighth grade. So freshman year proved to be a little startling to my basketball career when I showed up for tryouts and I was one of the shortest guys. Regardless, I've received a few trophies in my life, although none as significant as the Lombardi.

But to be honest, the prize I'm striving to achieve isn't available in this lifetime. Oh, I've derailed at times and tried to gain the world's accolades, but they never seemed near as shiny once I got them. The ultimate prize I want to achieve is mentioned in Philippians 3:13-14.

"One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Our first struggle in winning the prize is forgetting the past. I need to learn from my past but I don't need to dwell on it. I can't change my yesterdays but I can change my todays. Our second problem is focus. The idea of straining toward what's ahead is such a great visual. It takes effort, it likely won't be easy, but it's definitely worth it. We just have to stay focused on the prize. I love the way Philippians 3:12-16 reads in the Message Bible (paraphrase).

"I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it."

This week press on toward the prize God has for your life!!

Have a GREAT week!
Pastor Mark

0 comments:

Post a Comment