Merry Christmas

Christmas is just a few days away. Many will celebrate with family or friends and take advantage of a few days off. Think back to the Christmas's of your past. Which ones stand out as some of the best in your life? I can remember the year my brother and I got a basketball goal. That was back in the day when they didn't make the portable ones like they do now. My dad had to buy a steel pole, dig a whole in the ground, concrete it in, then attach the basketball goal. When you think about all that work it makes me feel bad about how much I complained a few years ago when I spent $100 and 2 hours putting Jonathan's basketball goal together. I can remember the year my brother got a train track and after my dad put it together we played with it for a while. I can remember the first and only video game system my parents bought us back in the 80's; the Colecovision. That was the game system that originated games like Q-Bert & Frogger.

Times have certainly changed since I was a kid; as it has for everyone over the years. Some change we seem to fight. But if we were honest, aren't you glad someone came up with the microwave oven? (Fun Fact: As a teenager I mowed the lawn of the man who was the CEO of Amana when they invented & produced the first microwave oven for home use) But even with all the changes over the years, one thing still remains; Jesus. He is still the reason we celebrate. He is still the greatest gift that's ever been given to mankind.

My greatest memories about Christmas don't center on presents, family gatherings, or Santa Claus. The greatest thing for me is the story of a Savior who came to earth, born in a manger in humble conditions. The entire real-life story is all about God's love for us and his desire to redeem us back to himself. John 3:16 is still true, "For God so loved the world that he gave....." He gave us the greatest gift ever. Let me encourage you to regift Jesus this year. Take that gift given by God and give it again to someone else. Show them the love and compassion of God. That's the greatest gift you could ever give to someone.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Pastor Mark

0 comments:

Post a Comment