Less IS More

I am a person who tends to contemplate a lot. Even when I am trying to take a break, rest, or watch the game, I find myself in a constant state of contemplation. I am constantly evaluating, continuously planning, and consistently considering what could, should, or can be done. My thoughts range from personal, spiritual, and family situations. But mostly my mind is consumed with whether or not I am being effective for God. Is the church effective for God or as effective as God wants it to be? On most days I have far more questions that I do answers.

With all those questions without answers I begin to wonder, "Am I in God's will or in God's way?" In my life I think I've concluded that it's most likely both. When I lay my head on the pillow at night, even with all those questions in my head, I know I am in God's will. But when I look at my role in his will, I also see that I tend to get in the way an awful lot. I am reminded of what John the Baptist said in John 3:30 when Jesus came on the scene and he realized that his role was changing. John said this, "
He must become greater; I must become less." How do we do that? It's so hard, isn't it? I understand the simplicity of the concept; but never has simplicity been so difficult. But.....my heart longs for a deep walk with God. I have to become less so that he can become more. I have to relinquish control so that he can steer my life. I have to understand less and learn to trust more. 2 Corinthians 12:9 tells me that in my weakest moments, that is when God makes me strong. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says "For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength." It's when you and I become less that God can increase in our lives.

This week, why don't you pray John 3:30, "God make me less, so you can become greater." Have a great week!

1 comments:

Matthew Leighty said...

Great post. I too have trouble not contemplating.

Post a Comment