It's Not About Me

One of the greatest joys of my life is being a father. And while a big part of parenting is teaching your child the difference between right and wrong, I've found it interesting what I also learn from them. For a child, the most important thing is self-preservation. That simply means they care most about themselves. They focus on what they want, when they want it, and everything else is just details. I spend a lot of time, especially when they were younger, trying to help them understand that life isn't all about them. That mom and dad don't exist on this earth simply to make sure they get everything they want. That's a tough thing for a kid to learn.

It's a tough thing for adults to learn also. If we were completely honest, we spend most of our lives thinking "it's all about me." Now as painful as it might be to admit that, you know it's true. We make our decisions based on what we want, when we want it, and how we must live to get it. And all the while our heavenly father, God, is trying to help us understand, it's not all about me! Colossians 1:16 tells us, "For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible......everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. (Message)" I didn't create my life, so what makes me think that I get to determine it's purpose. God created everyone with HIS purpose. And his purpose is always better than mine. It's always more beneficial than mine. All I have to do is admit it's not all about me. God is less concerned about what you want, and more concerned about who you are becoming.

"God, this week help me think less about myself and more about you........help me let go of my plans and grab hold of yours.......use me in such a way that others will know I am yours........AMEN!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment