Moments With God

Exodus 33:13 ....teach me your ways so I may know you.....(NIV)

These were words spoken by Moses after years in the dessert with the children of Israel, God's chosen people. Following the story of Moses life through scripture takes some determination. There were moments where we would say he was on top of the world, things were going good. But if you read long enough you would also notice that things didn't always stay good. His life was filled with frustration, physical & spiritual attacks from their enemies as well as his own people, lack of food, abundance of food, blessing & curses.

But woven into the journey of Moses was his deep desire to know God. Remember that this is early on, pre-Jesus, pre-New Testament, this was long before most of scripture was penned. But that didn't stop Moses desire to truly know the God he was following. He regularly shared moments with God where God poured very deeply into his soul.

Unlike Moses, we have the completed, God-inspired, infallible Word of God to help us know and understand God. And in addition, when Jesus died on the cross and rose again he tore down every barrier that could separate us from an intimate verbal relationship with our God. With those two things in place for us, how often do we take advantage of them? I've found that the most significant and productive times of my day are the planned & unplanned moments I spend with God. I plan to read his Word, to worship him with a song or two, I plan to talk with him through prayer. It's those moments that cause me to know him better and understand his plans for me. It's also the unplanned; those moments when the Holy Spirit just ambushes me in my office, in my car, our when I'm out and about town.

It's hugely important to plan moments with God, but it's also important to allow the Holy Spirit to ambush you in the midst of your day. Would you be willing to plan some moments with God? Five, ten, fifteen intentional minutes with him either reading his Word or talking to him? I promise those moments will become the most valuable of your day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment