Enough IS Enough

When's the last time you heard that phrase. Maybe you remember hearing your parents say it to you when you were getting in trouble as a child (for me that was often). Or maybe you've used that phrase when you were fed up with a situation or with somebody. But that's not really what I'm talking about.

I'm really talking about this insane mindset of acquisition. We want, and want, and want; but when do we get to the place where enough is enough? I can finally admit that in my twenties, I was addicted to this mindset. I lived to get more. More stuff, better cars, bigger T.V. (still have a 27 inch by the way), I wanted more! My joy was derived from getting more stuff. But I found out over time that the stuff lost it's shine real quick, and it left me more empty than before.

Evidently we are a hard-headed culture. While I am PROUD to be an American citizen and enjoy all the benefits that affords, I am disappointed at times about who we're becoming. Contentment has become a curse word in our society. We are training a new generation that what's most important is grabbing onto whatever you can get your hands on. We've proven as a society that we are willing to trade a good marriage because it gets boring, for a different marriage, solely for the emotional rush. We are willing to work later, harder, weekends, to obtain newer cars, bigger houses, and larger bank accounts. All the while we neglect our families and our relationships in the process. The Bible tells us this, "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?" (Matt. 16:26 NLT)

Maybe Jesus was right when he gave us the formula for success in Matthew 6:33 when he said, "Seek FIRST the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (NIV) The formula is simple; when will God be enough for you? When will we come to the place where we want him more than anything? Because if we don't, we will continue to look for fulfillment in all the wrong places and in the process lose who we are. Are you willing to say Enough IS Enough? Because I promise, God is enough for you!

"Jesus, today I decide to seek you first. I give you my list of wants, and I've decided that what I want most is you! And I believe that your Word is true; you will supply everything else I need! AMEN!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment