Weep With Those Who Weep

On Sunday I shared about a local friend and pastor who was informed on Saturday that his 22 year-old son lost his life serving our country in Afghanistan. When I heard the news I was very deeply moved and felt a sincere compassion for them, their other two children, and all of their extended family and friends. Romans 12:15 says, "weep with those who weep." It's a verse that I've remembered many times before when consoling a family after the loss of a loved one. Words just don't come easy in those times of grief. Often the best comfort I offer is to cry with them, love them, and simply be there for them.

Perspective is an amazing thing. One moment we can view our lives as happy, blessed, and good. And a few moments later we're depressed, discouraged, and ready to quit. Yesterday I talked about how regularly looking up to God in prayer clears our perspective. Our view is bad. God's view is much more clear and accurate. I've learned in life that the more time I spend focusing on my problem, the greater my problem seems. I've also learned the that the more time I spend focusing on God, the smaller my problems seems compared to the greatness of God. In most cases, my problems doesn't change at all but the way I view it does.

As you approach this week I'd like to challenge you to do a few things.
  • Look Up to God in prayer more often than you usually do. You need it!
  • Keep things in perspective. Don't let minor things become major.
  • Be THANKFUL! Recognize just how blessed you are! Choose to focus on the good in your life. Do you get to hug your loved ones tonight? You are richly blessed!
I would also ask you to remember Pastor Ron & Debbie Ross in your prayers this week and in weeks to come as they mourn the loss of their son.

Have a GREAT week!

1 comments:

theresarose said...

"I've learned in life that the more time I spend focusing on my problem, the greater my problem seems. I've also learned the that the more time I spend focusing on God, the smaller my problems seems compared to the greatness of God."

Such a good reminder- I've been feeling overwhelmed lately, and I needed to hear this!!!

Post a Comment